- Created on 31 July 2013
Former mayor of Chicago, Richard M. Daley, 71, has stepped out on the town with his reported girlfriend, Dr. Adele Joy Cobbs, 41, reports DNAInfo.com.
The couple officially made their national debut at the June 22 wedding party of financier Mellody Hobson, 43, and film-maker George Lucas, 68, who tied the knot at Skywalker Ranch in Marin County, California.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Hobson, who is president of Ariel Investments LLC, a $3 billion investment firm based in Chicago, and the Star Wars director have been together for 7 years.
Read more from DNA Info:
Sources who were at the George Lucas-Mellody Hobson wedding party, held in June at Promontory Point, said Daley and his date “hit it off after meeting at the gym,” [Shia] Kapos reported in Crain’s.
Neither Daley nor Cobbs confirmed their dating status to Crain’s. Cobbs couldn’t be reached for comment.
Cobbs, who lives in Hyde
- Created on 29 July 2013
Fast food workers across the country are walking off their jobs this week in protest of what they describe as low wages and unfair labor practices.
The employees, in New York, Chicago, Detroit and other cities, are calling for a $15 per hour wage as well as the right to unionize without fear of retaliation. The campaign launched Monday in New York City, and has been aided by Fast Food Forward, a New York City-based advocacy group of fast food workers:
Monday’s strikes mark at least the third time since last November that New York City fast food workers have walked off the job in protest. Just last week, McDonald’s workers staged a walk out at a New York City eatery after they were forced to work in record-high temperatures without air conditioning. One worker collapsed due to the heat.
- Created on 26 July 2013
(CNN) -- O.J. Simpson is 66 and has spent nearly all of his seventh decade in a Nevada prison after his conviction on kidnapping, armed robbery and other charges for busting into a Las Vegas casino to try to reclaim items he felt were rightfully his.
And he's had enough.
His nearly five years in custody "have been somewhat illuminating at times and painful a lot of times," Simpson told two Nevada parole board members Thursday via closed-circuit TV from prison.
"I missed my two younger kids who worked hard getting through high school, I missed their college graduations," he said, seemingly emotional as he talked. "I missed my sister's funeral. I missed all the birthdays."
The football legend could learn whether he'll have less time to spend in prison in two weeks, when the parole board comes back with its decision.
If a majority of the seven on the parole board vote in his favor, he'll have some hope but won't be free, according to multiple reports, including from CNN affiliates KSNVand KTNV. That's because he'd still have to serve more of his term -- at least four years more, according to these reports.
In his worst case scenario, Simpson remains behind bars for decades more. After his 2008 conviction, he was sentenced to up to 33 years in prison.
Simpson portrayed himself as a model inmate since his arrival, saying he had promised prison officials "I would be the best prisoner they have ever had here, (and) I think, for the most part, I've kept my word on that."
Recalling conversations with other inmates, specifically the many like him who are incarcerated for trying to rob others, Simpson said his case stands out -- and, because of that, he should have his prison term cut.
"The difference between all of their crimes and mine is that they were trying to steal other people's property, they were trying to steal other people's money," the pro football hall-of-famer argued. "My crime was trying to retrieve, for my family, my own property."
A Nevada jury, however, didn't see it that way. They convicted him on October 3, 2008 -- the 13th anniversary of his controversial acquittal in the 1994 killings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ronald Goldman.
The former Heisman Trophy winner, record-setting NFL running back and movie actor had enlisted the help of Clarence "C.J." Stewart and four others to get sports memorabilia that Simpson claimed belonged to him from dealers Bruce Fromong and Al Beardsley.
The six men confronted the dealers in a room at Las Vegas' Palace Station Hotel and Casino on September 13, 2007, brandishing weapons but not firing them.
Four of those men testified against Simpson -- each getting probation in exchange for his testimony -- while Stewart stood trial alongside him.
So does Simpson regret what he did?
On Thursday, as he did during his trial and has in subsequent appeals, he went on the defensive.
Simpson said he'd talked with his kids, his sister and his brother-in-law -- the latter two, he said, "were originally going to go with me" -- before going to the hotel. He also talked with two lawyers, one he knew and another he didn't.
"My intent was not to rob from anybody," said the onetime University of Southern California and Buffalo Bill great. "I knew both of these guys who had my stuff. I was a little upset with them, and I think I wasn't as civil as I should have been."
One mistake he admits: Bringing "some guys with me who I didn't know and one I didn't trust."
"And that's on me," Simpson said. "For that, I've been here for five years."
Tony Bommarito was one of those who didn't buy similar arguments during Simpson's trial. While Bommarito was an alternate juror, he did agree with the verdict.
Talking with CNN earlier this week before Thursday's parole board hearing, Bommarito didn't say specifically whether he thought Simpson should walk free now. But he did say the 33-year maximum sentence "seems like a lot for what he did in that scenario."
"I would have thought 10 or 15 years," Bommarito said. "(The longer sentence) made me think that ... was there some bias there, maybe? Maybe they were thinking about the old trial?"
- Created on 25 July 2013
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — O.J. Simpson goes before a Nevada parole panel Thursday to plead for leniency in his 2008 kidnapping and robbery case, but even a favorable decision won’t spring the former football star from prison.
Simpson was sentenced to consecutive terms on several charges. But some of his sentences were ordered to run concurrently — two counts each of kidnapping and robbery and one count of burglary. The parole panel will consider those concurrent sentences on Thursday, David Smith, a hearing examiner with the Board of Parole Commissioners, said late Wednesday.
In the event the Nevada Parole Board rules in his favor, he would then begin sentences attached to other charges.
“It doesn’t open the cell door,” H. Leon Simon, the prosecutor handling Simpson’s appeal, said Wednesday. “He’d just start serving the consecutive sentences.”
Simpson’s best chance for freedom lies with a pending decision by a Las Vegas judge on whether to grant him a new trial based on claims that his trial lawyer botched his defense and had a conflict of interest in the case. Clark County District Judge Linda Marie Bell held a weeklong hearing in May on the issue that featured testimony from the 66-year-old former NFL star, who was acquitted of murder in the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife and her friend.
A two-member panel in Carson City will hear Simpson’s parole petition Thursday morning. Simpson is scheduled to participate by video conferencing from the Lovelock Correctional Center. Only Simpson, his representatives or victims are allowed to comment. Documents filed as part of the parole hearing are confidential.
The panel is expected to make a recommendation the same day. It will then be forwarded to the seven-member parole board for consideration. Simpson would need four votes for parole approval.
Clark County District Judge Jackie Glass sentenced Simpson in December 2008 to nine to 33 years in prison on charges including first-degree kidnapping and robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.
During a hearing in May, Simpson’s current lawyers, Pamela Palm and Ozzie Fumo, presented evidence and questioned witnesses including trial lawyer Yale Galanter about whether he knew in advance about the September 2007 plan for Simpson and several other men to confront to memorabilia deals in a Las Vegas hotel room.
Simpson argues that he was trying to retrieve items stolen from him after his 1995 “trial of the century” acquittal in Los Angeles.
Bell hasn’t indicated when she plans to issue her decision, but told a KSNV-TV interviewer for a segment aired this week in Las Vegas that she still had “some writing to do.”