- Created on 06 September 2013
AP Photo /The Sun Chronicle, Mike George, Pool, File
FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) -- Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty to a first-degree murder charge Friday following his indictment in the killing of a friend authorities say was shot five times in an industrial park.
Hernandez firmly answered "not guilty" to six charges, including murder and weapons and ammunition possession charges.
His attorneys agreed that Hernandez, 23, will continue to be held without bail, but reserved the right to request bail later. His next court hearing was set for Oct. 9.
Defense attorney Charles Rankin said Hernandez's lawyers are confident that Hernandez will be exonerated during a trial. "Not one shred of evidence has been presented yet," he said.
The arraignment "is like the opening kickoff," Rankin said, and encouraged people to keep an open mind and let the lawyers do their work.
A Massachusetts grand jury last month returned the indictment against Hernandez in the death of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old semi-professional football player from Boston who was dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend.
Hernandez was arrested in June and pleaded not guilty to murder and weapons charges in district court. The indictment moves the case to superior court, where jury trials in murder cases are held.
Hernandez, who was cut from the Patriots within hours of his arrest, has been held without bail.
Prosecutors say the former NFL star orchestrated Lloyd's killing because he was upset at Lloyd for talking to some people with whom Hernandez had problems at a nightclub a few days earlier.
Defense attorneys say the evidence is circumstantial and that the state's case won't hold up.
Two other men who prosecutors say were with Hernandez when Lloyd was killed are also facing charges. Ernest Wallace was indicted on a charge of accessory to murder after the fact. He earlier pleaded not guilty to the same charge in district court and was ordered held on $500,000 bail.
Carlos Ortiz pleaded not guilty to a firearms charge and is being held without bail. He has not been indicted.
Lloyd's body was found by a jogger on June 17 in an industrial park in North Attleborough, about a mile from Hernandez's home. Authorities say Lloyd was killed with a .45-caliber Glock, which they have said hasn't been recovered. But prosecutors say they have video footage of Hernandez at his home holding what appears to be a Glock, in the hours before and just after the killing.
Prosecutors have not identified the triggerman, but according to court documents, Ortiz told police Wallace said it was Hernandez.
Hernandez's cousin, Tanya Singleton, also was indicted on a criminal contempt charge after prosecutors say she refused to testify before the grand jury hearing evidence in the case, even after they offered her immunity. Her attorney has agreed she be held without bail.
Hernandez is also connected to the investigation of a 2012 double homicide near a Boston nightclub. While probing Lloyd's death, police found an SUV, sought in the earlier killing, at the home of Hernandez's uncle in Bristol, Conn., the former football player's hometown. It had been rented in Hernandez's name.
- Created on 05 September 2013
The sum of money Floyd Mayweather Jr. is making for merely appearing in the ring reportedly reached a new record high, according to news that broke Wednesday.
According to Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, and Golden Boy Promotions head Richard Schaefer, Mayweather will receive a $41.5 million guarantee for his impending Sept. 14 fight against Canelo Alvarez.
ESPN.com's Dan Rafael broke the news:
Dan Rafael ✔ @danrafaelespn
Hang on to your hat. @LEllerbe & Richard Schaefer say that @FloydMayweather's purse for Canelo fight will be all-time record $41.5 million.
Mayweather has shattered his own record in guarantees for this latest bout, which will be held at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Hotel and Casino. In each of his previous two showdowns against Miguel Cotto and most recently Robert Guerrero, Mayweather received a guaranteed $32 million, according to Forbes' Kurt Badenhausen.
This certainly gives Money May plenty more dough to add to the bankroll, regardless of the outcome of the fight that is being labeled "The One."
With the WBA super welterweight title on the line along with Alvarez's WBC and The Ring light middleweight titles, the hype surrounding this showdown certainly won't be minimized in light of Mayweather's exorbitant guarantee.
The 36-year-old boasts a perfect 44-0 record in his illustrious pro career, but faces a formidable foe in Alvarez who himself has never lost as a professional, with a 42-0-1 record.
A catchweight of 152 pounds has been established for the fight, and considering Mayweather's endurance and the patient style of Alvarez, this one should go all 12 rounds.
Even if this fight does live up to its monumental billing—and is worth the high-definition pay-per-view cost of $74.95 on Showtime PPV, per Badenhausen—justifying or even fathoming this kind of payday is difficult in any context.
- Created on 05 September 2013
In case you have not yet realized, there is no stopping Mr. Shawn Carter in his attempt to dominate every aspect of the entertainment industry. After much speculation that Jay Z would be forced to sell his 0.067 share of ownership in the Brooklyn Nets to pursue his Roc Nation Sports Agency, the music mogul decided Jason Kidd was the perfect person to sell his small stake to.
A source shared with the New York Post,
“Other owners want to give Jason a part ownership of the team, and urged Jay to sell his shares to him.”
The deal comes months after Jay started his Roc Nation sports agency. By selling his share of ownership, Mr. Carter has successfully avoided the ‘conflict of interest’ talk he was bound to hear due to his personal and professional investments. Roc Nation has signed New York Yankee Robinson Cano, Oklahoma City Thunder’s very own Kevin Durant and WNBA newcomer Skylar Diggins.
Kidd has signed on as the coach of the Brooklyn Nets for this forthcoming season. Unlike Jay Z, Kidd’s ownership will not be seen as a conflict of interest.
What can we say? Jay knew about these new rules!
for more visit:theurbandaily.com
- Created on 04 September 2013
Athlete Usain Bolt of Jamaica addresses the media at the Sheraton hotel in Brussels on Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013. Bolt arrived in Brussels to participate in the Diamond League Memorial Van Damme Track and Field meeting on Friday. (AP Photo/Yves Logghe)
BRUSSELS (AP) -- Usain Bolt plans to retire after the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
Bolt said Wednesday he wants to win more gold in Rio, set another world record in the 200 meters next year, and perhaps win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.
"So far, (it) is after the Olympics in Rio," Bolt said of his retirement plans. "I think if I am in great shape, I'll go there and do what I have to do. I think it will be a good time to retire on top."
Winning another three golds in Moscow last month made him the most decorated athlete in world championship history with eight gold and two silvers. He has six gold medals from the Olympics.
"If I want to be among the greats of (Muhammad) Ali and Pele and all these guys, I have to continue dominating until I retire," Bolt said ahead of his final race this season in the 100 at Friday's Van Damme Memorial.
Bolt won the 100, 200 and 4x100 relay at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and at last year's London Games. He won the same triple at the 2009 worlds before repeating that feat in Moscow last month.
At 27, Bolt has the experience to know that a lax season midway between Olympics can hurt him. In 2010, a soft entry into the year and subsequent injury cost him almost a full season.
"I kind of didn't do much in the offseason and then got injured and had to start from scratch. So this season, I will not make that mistake again," Bolt said.
Like 2010, next season has no major championships, but Bolt is thinking of new goals for 2014.
He already owns the 100 and 200 world records and shares the 4x100 with his Jamaican teammates. He acknowledges the 100 record of 9.58 seconds will be extremely tough to better, but he hopes to improve on the 19.19 he ran in the 200 in Berlin four years ago.
"I have learned, I have mastered the art of running the turn," Bolt said of the 200. "So if I can stay injury free and be in good shape, then it is possible for me to definitely go after the world record."
As a Jamaican, Bolt can compete in the Commonwealth Games, too, something he has yet to do. Next year, the event will be held in Glasgow, Scotland.
"I have never been to Commonwealths and so it is always good to add to your collection of gold medals," Bolt said.