- Created on 08 October 2013
In this Sept. 19, 2013 file photo, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson attends the New York City Ballet 2013 Fall gala at Lincoln Center, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) — 50 Cent said he's excited to be part of the new Sundance series "Dream School" because the reality show focuses on uplifting people.
"Dream School," which debuted Monday (10 p.m. EDT), follows a group of high school dropouts who are trying to graduate. 50 Cent appears in the series with filmmaker Oliver Stone and actor David Arquette.
"The actual reality programs that exist right now ... kind of focus on the train wreck, and this show is more about providing opportunity," the 38-year-old rapper said in an interview last week.
The 15 teenagers from the Los Angeles area who appear in the designed "dream school" dropped out of high school because of issues including fighting, financial problems and pregnancy. One transgender student said bullying forced him out of school and another didn't enter the ninth grade because he wanted to care for his cancer-stricken mother.
"I see a lot of myself in some of the kids," said 50 Cent, who grew up in Queens, N.Y. "My son is 17 and he could very well be in that situation if things didn't have a change for the better with me. I remember ... the obstacles of temptation in front of me."
"Dream School," a six-part series, also features Jesse Jackson, journalist Soledad O'Brien, astronaut Dr. Mae Jemison and producer-rapper Swizz Beatz. 50 Cent, who has sold millions of albums and has appeared in films, is one of the show's executive producers.
He said Arquette made an impact on the transgender student.
"The kid immediately had a connection that felt safe," he said of the 42-year-old actor, whose sibling, Alexis Arquette, is transgender. "Because of (David's) own journey, he was able to utilize his experience to make that person's experience better, and the guy went on to graduate."
- Created on 07 October 2013
In this Feb. 10, 2013 file photo shows producer Jermaine Dupri at the Warner Music Group 2013 Grammy Celebration at the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood, Calif. (Photo by Chris Pizzello / Invision/AP, File)
NEW YORK (AP) — Music producer Jermaine Dupri is joining Mariah Carey's management team.
A representative for Carey confirmed the news Monday. They have collaborated on hits like "Always Be My Baby," ''Don't Forget About Us" and "We Belong Together," which was named song of the decade and is one of the most popular songs of all time.
Carey said in a statement that she and Dupri "have a bond that surpasses music."
The singer is recording a new album called "The Art of Letting Go." The first single, the Miguel-featured "#Beautiful," was released in May and peaked at No. 15.
Dupri has written and produced for Usher, Monica and Destiny's Child. He has had success with acts like Kris Kross, Xscape, Bow Wow and Jagged Edge on his So So Def label.
- Created on 07 October 2013
The war of the exes continues as Tameka Foster (pictured left) and her ex-hubby crooner, Usher (pictured), reportedly head back to court over co-parenting issues, according to TMZ.
Foster and Usher, who were married for two years and have two sons together, have publicly battled each other with their gloves off since their divorce proceedings began in 2009. And after a nasty spectacle of plenty of mud slinging, Usher was awarded primary custody of their young sons last year.
Now Foster, who claims she has tried to co-parent amicably with her ex, says that Usher has shut her out of the children's lives when it comes to making important decisions about their welfare.
According to Foster, Usher is supposed to consult with her as far as making decisions that involve travel, schooling, and activities for their 4- and- 5-year-old sons, but instead, Usher repeatedly leaves her out of the loop. For example, Usher allegedly signed up one of the boys to play football without getting her approval first.
Now Foster is reportedly not happy with the co-parenting arrangement that is in place and has hightailed it off to court to petition for a change.
- Created on 04 October 2013
NEW YORK (AP) — CBS says Halle Berry will star in a serialized drama coming to the network next summer.
The Oscar-winning actress will headline "Extant," a 13-episode thriller. Berry will play an astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that change the course of history.
The series is being made in partnership with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television, which made last summer's surprise hit for CBS, "Under the Dome." CBS announced "Extant" in August.
CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler said Berry is the type of actress "you dream of collaborating with for an event project such as 'Extant.'"
The 47-year-old Berry won an Oscar in 2002 for her starring role in "Monster's Ball."